Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tatonuts

Yesterday I thought that I would be crazy and take on my house. I got everything cleaned and did some of the laundry from the weekend. I got finished and thought to myself, this kitchen is clean enough to cook in...so I did! I decided to make tatonuts. My mother-in-law gave all of us girls this cookbook/baking mix book. It has all these recipes to make your own mixes. I found one that was really easy and I happened to have all the ingredients. It was the HOT ROLL MIX. From that mix I found a recipe for tatonuts. My husband has been asking about making doughnuts for a long time, he loves doughnuts. So I set out to do this.

The mix is called the HOT ROLL MIX.

5 lbs all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp salt
1 cup instant nonfat dry milk

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together to distribute evenly. Put in a large airtight container. Label. Store in a cool dry place. Use with in 6 to 8 months. Makes about 22 cups of HOT ROLL MIX.

If you get the book then there are lots of things that you can make with this mix. they have cinnamon rolls. rolls, bread and pretzels. I think I will make the pretzels soon so I can put that recipe on there but just having this mix for doughnuts is good enough for me.

Here is the tatonuts recipe. It was really fun to do and super yummy. We did it for FHE and my husband's brother came over to enjoy them with us. My husband even helped a little!

1 TBSP yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
3 TBSP sugar
1/2 cup instant potato flakes
1 cup milk, scalded
4 1/2 -5 cups HOT ROLL MIX
Vegetable oil for frying
Vanilla Glaze

Dissolve the yeast into the water. I usually just do this right in my Kitchenaid mixer to use less dishes. After about 5 minutes add the eggs and melted butter. Mix these together well, I added the melted butter very slowly so as to not cook the egg and boil the yeast. Then add the sugar, potato flakes and milk ( I actually didn't have potato flakes so I ended up using potato pearls that I blended up so they would mix better, I think it worked fine. ) Mix well. Add the HOT ROLL MIX slowly and make sure to mix well. Once mix through put on your dough hook and knead in the Kitchenaid mixer for about 5 minutes. After cover with a wet towel and let it raise for 1 hour. After it has raised double it's size punch down and roll out onto a floured surface about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out doughnut shapes using a doughnut cutter or if you don't have one then you can use a couple of different cups/bowls to make the doughnut shape(this is what I ended up doing). Let the dough raise again for another 40-45 minutes. You can either use a deep fryer or you can heat up some oil in a pan so that the doughnuts are not floating. Cook on one side for about a minute or until they are golden brown. We made the mistake of heating the oil too hot, it said to have your oil to 375 and our was hotter and the insides of the doughnuts didn't cook (some did and some didn't). Next time I would have the oil cooler and the dough was a little bit thick. You live and learn. They were still delicious.

















These pictures don't really do them justice but just think about how yummy they taste. I think that we will end up making them again sometime soon. The recipe did make quite a few, these were only a couple of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment