Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Homemade English Muffins

I found a recipe for homemade english muffins and I just knew I had to try it. Our family loves egg sandwiches for breakfast and we also LOVE eggs benedict. I wasn't sure if I would have enough time to do them yesterday but I found the time and they turned out amazing!!

English Muffins
1 3/4 cup warmed milk
2 TBSP sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
3 TBSP butter
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 tsp baking powder
4 to 4 1/4 cups flour (I used whole wheat flour)

Combine warm milk, yeast and sugar. Let this mixture sit a few minutes so the yeast can start to do it's thing. Add the rest of the ingredients ( I let the yeast mixture sit into my Kitchenaid mixer and then I just add the ingredients to it so that I don't have to use so many bowls) and mix with the flat blade mixer. The dough it going to be very sticky but that is how it is supposed to be, DON'T add more flour. Once completely mixed scrape th dough from the bowl onto a lightly floured counter top. Fold dough over a few times, until you make a nice smooth ball. Place in a greased bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for about an hour. (My house is REALLY cold so when I let it raise on the counter top it didn't, so I put it into my oven and set it to warm and left the door slightly open and that did the trick. I ended up raising it for 2 hours HEHE)

Punch down dough and lay out on a surface sprinkled with corn meal( I used corn flour and it work just as well). Roll out to desired thickness. The muffins will rise somewhat, so roll them out about 1/4 " thinner that you want them to be in the end. Cut out circles with a loured
3 inch cutter ( I just used a cup). Re-roll and cut the leftover dough. Cover the muffins with a damp cloth and let res for about 20 minutes.

Heat a frying pan or griddle to very low heat (250 if you are using your griddle). Do not grease but sprinkle with cornmeal(or corn flour). Cover pan and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side. ( I was cooking dinner at the same time so I just set the timer and it worked out fine).

Cool on cooling rack. Store muffins in the fridge or freezer.



These are pictures of my finished products. They were so super yummy.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try these.
    I have a cold house too so I turn the oven light on and it gives off enough heat to help raise the bread, rolls, etc.

    ReplyDelete