Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pizza Calzone

This recipe is a real hit at my house. I love making them because my 2 year old will eat them and my husband loves pizza and these are much easier. I like the dough recipe too because you can use it for breadsticks as well.

Dough:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP yeast
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cup flour

Filling:
Pizza sauce
pepperoni
sausage
mushrooms
mozzarella cheese
Pretty much anything you like on your pizza
1egg

In your mixer dissolve the water and the sugar. Sprinkle in the yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add the salt and the flour and mix with flat blade mixer. The dough is fairly sticky so don't add any more flour. Let it raise for 30 minutes.

Once raised punch it down and tear off a golf ball sized piece of dough. (I usually just roll the dough out onto my cookie sheet that I lined with a Silpat). Roll it out fairly thin and into a circle. Add onto one half of the dough a little bit of pizza sauce and then any toppings you like, including cheese. Our family's favorite is pepperoni and sausage. Fold the dough over and seal it with a little bit of egg that has been beaten. Then brush the top of the calzone with the egg to get it nice and crispy. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. When you tap the top of the calzone it should sound hollow and then it is done.

To make the dough into yummy breadstick
s you just need to get a 9x13 pan and melt 2 TBSP of butter in the bottom of it. I just do this in my already preheated oven (preheat to 375). Then
stretch the dough out to fit into the pan. Score the top of the dough with a serrated knife and then pour another 2 TBSP melted butter on top. Sprinkle whatever spice you like on top. I usually do garlic, parsley and onion powder but you can do what would match your meal. Then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.



As you can tell, I didn't get the one calzone sealed well enough before I put them into the oven so it split open but I looks good and tasted even better.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy. I'm going to try these tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many does this recipe make? It sounds good but I need to make it for 3 people. Would this recipe work as is for 3 people?

    ReplyDelete