Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baking Bread

Our family ran out of bread this morning so I got out the wheat grinder and set out to make another three loaves. I like to grind on the day of making bread but I also grind extra wheat so I have extra for other things. I really enjoy this recipe because the bread turns out just like the grocery store bread and my husband will eat it. Other recipes leaves the bread very dense, something that I don't really like.

3 cups warm water
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1 TBSP yeast

In your Kitchenaid (or whatever mixer you have) combine the warm water, oil and honey together and then sprinkle the yeast on top so it can dissolve. I usually wait 5 minutes.

4 cups of whole wheat flour (I always add a dough enhancer to the flour before I start using it. I think it is 2 TBSP per 6 cups of flour)
1 TBSP salt

Add this to the yeast mixture and then using a flat blade you mix until it is completely combined then switch to the dough hook.

2-3 cups of whole wheat flour

Add the last two to three cups slowly so you can tell if the dough is ready. Let the dough hook incorporate the flour completely before adding more. You can tell it is done when the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. It is a fairly firm dough. In a LARGE bowl spray some pam and then place the dough in there to raise. You can either add a lid to the bowl or just drap a dish towel that you have been using and is somewhat moist over top. Let the dough raise for 1 hour and then punch it down and knead a little bit. Let it raise another hour and then punch it down and again and then split into three pieces. Spray three bread pans with pam and form the dough into loaves, then place into the bread pans to raise another hour. After about 45 of that hour preheat your oven to 375F and then bake for 25 to 30 minutes. I like to use my glass pans so I can see how well they are done.

I usually make one of the loaves a cinnamon loaf but I didn't have any more brown sugar so I will have to post about the cinnamon loaf the next time I make bread. I think these turned out really well and props go to my husband for putting them in the oven for me while I was at the dentist and taking them out at the exact right time. They turned out awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment