Monday, August 15, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

I just love this recipe. It is so easy! I was so exhausted from my crazy week at Trek that I was super lazy yesterday and didn't want to do a lot in the kitchen, so I decided to take some of my precooked chicken in my freezer and put it into the crock pot with a can of Cranberry sauce. I got some potatoes, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and green pepper from my garden and made roasted veggies in the oven (it sounds like a lot of work but it is really easy to just throw it in and let it bake). I also wanted to make some rolls but I ended up just making these super delicious biscuits instead and they turned out so well. The best part about them is that the next morning we were able to have egg sandwiches!

Buttermilk Biscuits
2 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk (you can use sour milk also but I just happened to have some buttermilk in my fridge which ultimately is why I chose to do this recipe yesterday)

Combine all dry ingredients into a large bowl. With a pastry cutter, cut the shortening into the dry mix. Add the butter milk and knead for about 5 minutes to make sure they are super fluffy! Roll the dough out and use a cup or a round cutter and cut out the biscuits. Cook at 450 for 8-10 minutes.
I read somewhere that if you put extra buttermilk on the top of the biscuits that they crisp up a little bit better but I didn't try this, maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh these sound super yummy! I don't think your "lazy" dinner dish is lazy at all. My Lazy dish is mac n cheese... the box kind... and I love it every time! These biscuits look wonderful and I just might have to try them real soon.

    ReplyDelete